Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Best Advice My In-Laws Ever Gave Me . . .

The sound of breaking glass made me come rushing from the bedroom. "Are you all right?", I cried. "Sorry, I just broke a vase," came my husband's reply. "It just came tumbling out the moment I opened the cabinet. Was it one of your favorites?"

Truth be told, I loved that vase. I used it all the time because it was the perfect blend of color for my kitchen. I would purchase flowers when they were on sale at the market and brighten up the kitchen immediately. But, as I stood there with flowery memories flying through my head, a little voice (or should I say a booming Texas voice) in my head said, "Does it have five-year significance? If not, don't worry about it!" You see, that is the motto that my in-laws live by and remind me of whenever things either big or small start getting to me.

A worrier by nature, I sometimes find it hard to shake off the little annoyances of life. And pretty soon, I find that I am overwhelmed, not by the big tragedies, but by . . . the broken glass, the spilled milk, the stolen purse. It is in moments like this that I often recall my in-laws' words. Do these things really change the course of my life or the lives of those I love over the next five years? If not, there really is no reason to get bent out of shape by them. One of my favorite phrases at moments like this (when I can keep my emotions in check) is "It's no big deal." Sometimes I mean it when I say it. Sometimes I say it to convince myself that it's true.

A broken vase, another scuff on the wall, multiple schedules to coordinate . . . it really is no big deal. These things and many others can be almost instantly fixed, managed or replaced. And when you think of five-year significance, there isn't much in daily life that will have that kind of lasting impact. If I could just live consistently with that in mind, imagine how freeing it would be to be able to only focus on those things which really have significance. . . our spiritual health, our marriages, the well-being of our kids, our relationships with others. Heading into the Christmas season, I look forward to not letting the little things side-track me. I want to keep my mind focused on the important, lasting, significant things in my life.

2 comments:

batavian babe said...

That's a good motto to live by! I also use the phrase "In light of Eternity, does this matter?" That pretty much eliminates anything we might cherish on earth, which I find harder to do, but gives a certain perspective to life--to not hold on to anything too dearly. Whoa, this is heavy for Wed. morn, while I'm procrastinating putting lights on the tree.

Sorry about your vase, Tam.

Kris said...

Oooh. Sorry about the vase. I really like your motto. It's a terrific reminder! Boy, could I use it!

Ps. I never pegged you for a worrier...your motto must be working!